Automation testing is one of the most important stages of software quality assurance (QA). By automating and running their tests, Software Testers can verify that their software is working correctly, automatically outside of manual testing.Automation tests are the highest priority when testing software, and providing test content:
Higher test coverage
Higher error detection
Improving test quality
It is very important to use the necessary tools at the right time in order to produce a quality product in the automation test and to deliver the product quickly.The tools used are the most important way to benefit from automation. Automation testing tools are the most necessary and important stage of the software testing process.
It is difficult to choose a test automation tool. There are more than 200 paid and open-source tools in the market. This article aims to provide convenience when choosing.
What is Automation Testing?
There are two ways to verify that a software product is error-free or to detect errors.
These are manual testing and automation testing.
Within the scope of testing, each stage needs to be checked repeatedly. Manual testing can be slow for this process and more expensive throughout the process.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Automation Testing
The advantages are:
- It allows the test to be done quickly. It allows you to run the written tests repeatedly and make a regression test.
- It keeps the used data recorded and allows you to use it again. In this way, you do not need to keep the data in your mind.
- It ensures that everyone from the team members to the customer can see the tests performed. With the tools used, it can be easily seen where and which test was performed.
The disadvantages are:
- Manual testing does not require preparation or even a tool, but automation requires a long preparation using tools.
- It is more expensive in terms of cost. The tools used are usually paid and automation testing is the type of test that requires investment.
- Some elements such as the colors used in the design or the font sizes cannot be tested with automation, you have to do manual testing.
How to Choose The Right Automation Test Tool?
It is important to choose the right tool to get the required efficiency from automation testing.
It should enable to benefit from features such as test execution speed provided by automation and writing test cases once, using them in many places and testing many times, and at the same time, it should be a tool that provides detailed and continuous reporting.
Tool Functionality and Features
One of the most important features of a test tool is continuous and exportable reporting documents and test results.
Another important feature is that the languages used in the test run can be supported and it is necessary to run more than one test scenario at the same time.
It needs to run test commands quickly and support many test scenarios.
It may be necessary to add plug-ins to the testing tools in order to perform complete automation testing of test scenarios.
The chosen tool should be able to connect it to plug-ins and other tools that can assist in performing different types of tests as well as in error detection.
It may be necessary to run the automation test in different browsers of the tests. In such a case, it is necessary to use a tool that includes cross-browser testing.
There should be no extra fees when purchasing open-source test automation tools.
Pricing of the test automation tool should be flexible and selective based on the need for testing.
Most Popular and Essential 9 Testing Tools
Here is our list of the 9 best automation testing tools on the market for 2023.
It is by far the most popular testing tool and is used by 84% of Testers.
Selenium is an open-source test automation tool used for web testing. It includes a large library of plugins and extensions.
- It allows running cross-browser tests and parallel tests.
- It allows running tests with other test frameworks (like TestNG for reporting) and on remote machines.
With Katalon, you can test your Web, Mobile, and Desktop (latest version 7.0) applications, as well as use them in your test automation processes of your backend services. Katalon can integrate with various other tools such as Kobiton, qTest, JIRA, Git, Slack, and more. There is no need to build and code a test automation framework. The test tool can be downloaded and tested directly.
- It supports multiple operating systems such as Windows, macOS and Linux.
- Supported testing methodologies: DDT, BDD, Keyword Based Testing,
- Cross-Browser Testing (Chrome, Headless, Edge, Firefox, and Safari)
- Mobile Testing (iOS, Android)
No coding knowledge or high programming skills are required to use this tool.
Appium is an open-source automation testing tool for mobile applications. Appium enables testers to write UI automation tests for web-based and hybrid mobile apps on both Android and iOS.
It is one of the best and most popular mobile automation testing tools in recent years. Appium contains:
- Creating various testing frameworks and integrating CI/CD tools
- Cross-platform testing with reusable test cases and API
Cucumber is one of the best tools for QA testers who place top priority on end-user satisfaction. Cucumber is an open-source and Behavior Driven Development (BDD) testing tool that only supports web application testing.
- It offers the ability to execute the test code to run in different frameworks.
- Test cases are written in a simple language called Gherkin that even an outsider with no coding knowledge can understand.
- Supported languages: Ruby, Java, Scala, Groovy etc.
- It has its own reporting system.
One of its key features is that it enables end-to-end testing when testing web applications.
- It not only identifies and shows errors but also suggests various ways to solve problems.
- It also provides parallel test execution and cross-browser testing.
Price: Starting at $75 per month for Free or Dashboard Service
TestComplete performs UI automation testing for mobile, desktop, and web applications.
TestComplete recognizes and processes web elements in the technologies used.
It enables test execution with or without code.
Test Complete contains:
- Cross-browser, parallel and cross-device testing
- Using Machine learning and artificial intelligence to best recognize objects
Postman is one of the most widely used automation testing tools by testers in API testing.
It allows users to write different types of tests such as integration tests, functional tests, and regression tests. Allows automatic execution of CI/CD integration.
- Multiple formats support ( HTML, Swagger, JSON, and RAML )
- Creating collections and API elements, API schemas
- Required integrations with many CI/CD tools
- Easy debugging, easy-to-use interface, creating test packages
Price: Free or from $12 per user per month
LambdaTest enables test automation over cloud services. Testing in the cloud enables testing scopes in parallel, fast, cross-browser, parallel, and cross-device testing. LambdaTest is one of the best automation testing tools for web apps and desktop apps.
- It provides control of over 2000 devices, browsers, and operating systems on the cloud using Selenium Grid.
- Run geolocation web tests in 27+ countries
- It provides a variety of testing frameworks and integrations with CI/CD tools.
Apache JMeter is designed for automation load testing. It is an open-source native Java application.
It focuses on testing web applications. It can be used in unit tests and functional tests.
Apache JMeter contains:
- Provides integration with popular CI/CD tools.
- It provides support for different applications, servers, IDE tests, and protocol types.
- It provides the opportunity to create a test plan with its easy interface.
- It also allows you to run functional API Tests.
Automation Testing in Nioyatech
A software must be tested for end-user satisfaction in order to create a quality product and operate smoothly. Automation testing is the most important and necessary method for testing software in the best way.
For the most accurate application of automation testing, it is necessary to choose the right, reliable test automation tool. The common feature of all test automation tools is to produce quality software with a fast and reliable test.
Nioyatech collaborates with software engineers and SDETs to perform manual testing, automation testing, and software testing to ensure the sustainability and control of complex technologies and processes. Nioyatech’s QA services are the best option if you need Quality Assurance for your software